Monday, May 2, 2011

Why the hell is the UAE blog world so quiet about it? I was expecting thought-provoking posts among at least one of my favourite UAE blogs, Life in Dubai, UAEian, or Buj Al Arab but no; not even is there mention of it in The UAE Community Blog.

I’m amazed, about as amazed as I am startled by this news. 

I feel.  And I don’t know what it is I feel about it. 

I’m sad, yet I am not saddened by his execution.  I believe in the death penalty for murders and there is no doubt Osama Bin Laden was a murderer.  He was a mass murderer of Atheists, Christians and Mulsims alike.  He deserved to die.  But to hear the American soldiers ‘took custody’ of his body and that he was buried at sea (such pretty words for his remains were tossed thoughtlessly into the middle of the ocean and he was denied any form of humane burial) disgusts me at my core.

His punishment was his death.  The world is a safer place without him. 

But abusing his remains and cheering about his demise is for the sake of the living.  What disgusting people we are to laugh at and dance like mad-mobs in the face of death – anyone’s death.  Those who lost loved ones at Osama’s hands will not be dancing today – they’ll feel a possible form of closure and no doubt rekindled pain because even Osama’s death cannot bring back the lives he took.

Osama’s execution is indeed a great step towards anti-terrorism; a great accomplishment that will mark our future.  But it also proves human beings are disgusting things.

I read this quote on Facebook today, fake or not, so very apt it is:

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

~*~

International news and disgraceful human beings aside, life keeps me busy (in such a fantastic way, I’m loving my course!), my body is still adjusting to the changes (and my new-no-time diet), and Lars and I are well.  We’re making time for tea time every-single-day, whether it be breakfast on the patio, a few minutes on the couches in a dark room late at night, or lunch at the Chinese place near my school because we won’t fit in a few minutes throughout the day otherwise, we squeeze it in and make it work.  We are sincerely happy.

We’re in love with our new tenants (what wonderful people they seem to be!) and life overall is pretty darn good – so I won’t complain too much, even if people in general suck right now.

0 words of wisdom:

Disclaimer

This is my personal weblog. The thoughts and opinions represented here are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect those of my employers, associates or peers.

I am forever changing and always staying this same; a true living contradiction and as such, my thoughts and opinions change frequently. I may or may not still hold the same opinions noted in out-of-date posts.

By reading my blog, you agree to accept these realities as absolute truth.

Me

My photo
No matter where I am, I'm lost and learning to like it. I'm a living contradiction, and the best lies I tell are the ones I tell myself.
Powered by Blogger.

Dubai Time

Victoria Time