Thursday, November 3, 2011
Occupy Me… Misery Welcomes Company

I really didn’t want to get into this, but since I was so explicitly asked about it… here goes:

If an entire class of kindergarten students start screaming and yelling; one that he’s thirsty, another that she’s hungry, third that he needs to go to the bathroom, a fourth that she’s being sexually or otherwise assaulted at home, a fifth that his dad, the soul provider for the family just died of cancer and the insurance company didn’t give mommy the money they were promised so mommy cries all the time, one that he’s eaten so much he wants to vomit, another that the class bully won’t stop picking on him, the bully screaming that he’s hungry and doesn’t have lunch, a few who just scream to join the yelling masses, while others scream other woe-worthy situations, how the hell are any of these voices going to be heard? How are these problems going to be fixed? Does the teacher centre in on one and say allow the hungry child to eat? Will the others screaming accept that one problem was sorted while the rest were left on hold to deal with it? History proves not. That’s a recipe for complete chaos. Shall the teacher then walk out and hand the power over to the kids to sort out for them selves? As it seems to me, that’s about the only possible solution for that teacher to find any sanity – leaving the masses in complete anarchy.

The Occupy Movement is just that – but on a bigger scale. There are a LOT of injustices in our society. But screaming about them all at once is not going to do a damn thing, especially when so many things are contradictions in themselves, so many others just illogical. I read today one person sum up the movement as:

“A bunch of deadbeats who racked up tens of thousands in college loans in useless majors (“Art History”, “World Religions”, “Women’s Studies”) and are now whining because they can’t find jobs in their degree fields and the “evil banks” are demanding payment.”

Seems to me, from some of the initial interviews I saw from Wall Street Occupants, that this is EXACTLY how it all started. And I won’t support that at all.

Now, the Occupy Movement screams about the 1% - when there is no FACTUAL evidence that the 1% even exists: Poll: Are you part of the 99%?

epic fail photos - Probably Bad News: Canada's 99% is Much More Equal

I don’t support fiction- especially when it’s presented as fact.

The Occupy Movement screams about unfair taxes and big business, yet I know for a fact in the most recent British Columbia HST votes, many of the people supporting the Occupy Movement here, also voted to keep the higher taxes for the individual person (which lowered tax for big business), the HST, over reverting back to the lesser taxed public (higher taxed big business) GST & PST system we once had. I do not support to hypocrisy that seethes from this.

Combine that which I don’t support with the sheer numbers of people supporting this movement who continue to make complete asses of themselves:

epic fail photos - Occupy FAIL Street

…and you have a recipe for a moment I will never stand behind; just like I wouldn’t support a classroom of screaming children making countless demands.

There’s no doubt in my mind our society needs changes – many of them. I don’t believe these are the same changes as the ones Wall Street, or even the same changes that Ontario needs. Squishing all of our collective problems together, under one “Occupy’ front, simply reduces all necessary change as insignificant – ultimately unheard and unresolved.

It’s a bunch of wasted energy. Period. I don’t want to be a part of it. I don’t want to see it (camped in our parks, on our streets, or even on the news). I don’t want to add to the energy this movement is, in my honest opinion, wasting. I’ll fight my battles, and I’ll pick them wisely. This isn’t one of them that’s worth my time. I’ll use my energy to fight for causes I know I can win or at least help make change with; I'll keep earning charity for associations I can give to, speaking about the injustices I can clearly see and to the people I know can make a difference based on them - and I'll ask those who agree with me to support me along the way.

You fight your battles, whatever they may be, and I’ll respect that. In the meantime, I’ll share that I believe, if you want change you need to be change. You need to make it happen with a clear vision, one clearly definable goal at a time. Otherwise, you’re just a bunch of people celebrating your different grievances about life in general. And to me that reiterates the old saying that, misery welcomes company.

5 words of wisdom:

Lars said...

And that's why I love you <3



well one of many.. many reasons

Tiana Nielson said...

Very well said, I am of the same opinion, well and then some :)

Tainted Female said...

<3 Thank you both much!

Leah said...

thanks for answering my questions. Like my brother, I hope we can respectfully agree to disagree. And as you said you don't want to talk about, I will respect that too, and not reply with anything other than thanks for replying.

Tainted Female said...

Cheers Leah!!! <3

Disclaimer

This is my personal weblog. The thoughts and opinions represented here are mine and mine alone. They do not reflect those of my employers, associates or peers.

I am forever changing and always staying this same; a true living contradiction and as such, my thoughts and opinions change frequently. I may or may not still hold the same opinions noted in out-of-date posts.

By reading my blog, you agree to accept these realities as absolute truth.

Me

My photo
No matter where I am, I'm lost and learning to like it. I'm a living contradiction, and the best lies I tell are the ones I tell myself.
Powered by Blogger.

Dubai Time

Victoria Time